Want to Contribute?

If you would like to add something as a post. Send us an e-mail at scouncil@ohsu.edu. with the subject "post request"

Saturday, March 14, 2015

February 2015 All Hill Council Minutes

http://ohsustudent.blogspot.com/

February Meeting Agenda:

OHSU Student Council (SC)
2/13/2015, 12:00-1:00/1:30pm
Location: MRB 310
Called to order:

Attendants:

·         Welcome/Food/Drinks (10 minutes)
·         Approval of Past Minutes (1 minute)
o   Past meeting minutes approved
·         Funding Request (5 minutes)- Interprofessional Quiz Bowl
o   Passed for full $1000. In previous years, used about $900-$1000. 2 opposed.
·         Volunteer Awards Ceremony (10 minutes)-Monica Luttrell
o   Monica explained ethos behind award ceremony and logistics. Encouraged people to spread word about nominations and attend event. People nominated for awards submit their CV. Selection committee is composed of members of All-Hill. Nominations due Feb 16th. March 5th at ~6pm for CV reading. Food provided. Actual event on March 12th. Need volunteers for event to help setup and check IDs for wine bar.
·         Motorcycle Parking (5 minutes)-Daniel Mick
o   Daniel raised his concern that the university does a poor job of incentivizing motorcycle usage despite it’s positive environmental impacts compared to cars. He also raised the point that there are many unusable parts of different parking garages that could fit motorcycles and not cars but result in tickets if parked in. Proposed solutions: Effect more lenient rules related to where you can park a motorcycle, reduce fees, paint more motorcycle spots. Dana Director encouraged us to invite Sue Thompson to our next meeting to discuss this issue. Josiah Brown will work with Daniel Mick to draft letter of concern. Please add this issue to next month’s meeting agenda.
·         Executive Meeting with the Provost (5 minutes)-K.C. Gilbert
o   Meeting topics included graduation and student health. University is changing graduation at the institution level. OSU PharmD now included in graduation.
§  Provost agreed at meeting that communication had been poor from the higher administration to students. Graduation this year is at convention center. Begins at 1100. Begins with one large ceremony then breaks into individual programs. Officially ends at 5PM, however the last 2-3 hours of the event are blocked for reception. Dana Director reiterated that students are not responsible for raising funds whatsoever for graduation.
§  Provost stated that moving student health to CLSB is not an option for reasons of health information security, logistics, and financial sustainability. It was brought up that moving Student Health to CHH at some point might be an option. We discussed changing both the policy
·         Volunteerism-Habitat for Humanity Recap (5 minutes)-James Rohlfing
o   Last Habitat event very well attended, with 15/15 spots filled. Plan is to schedule another build day in the Spring with them.
·         Gala (5 minutes)-James Rohlfing
o   Nursing rep states that their constituents are very involved. PharD students already have spring formal event, but it is much more expensive. They feel like their constituents would be very likely to go if the ticket was only $10. Dental feels that the gala would be more attended by 1st and 2nd years than upperclassmen. Medical brought up that MS1/MS2 CLSB classrooms could be used for event. It was brought up  Would like to setup subcommittee for planning. Looking at May 8th. People generally feel that their constituents would be interested in attending.
·         All-Hill Ski Trip (2 minutes)-Andrew Sloan
o   No problems with ski trip.
·         Representation – Adam Fox brought up that it would be nice if class presidents of each class were specifically invited to All Hill meetings to facilitate communication.
·         School Updates (5 minutes)
o    
·         Regular Updates (15 minutes)
o   Website Coordinator (Adam Fox)
o   JBT Health and Wellness Center (Sarah Lemley)
§  Currently undergoing some provider turnover, so there may be some difficulty getting appointments until this spring.
o   Student Health Advisory Committee (Marilyn Spencer)
§  Insurance that OHSU provides is combining with PSU, ideally to lower premiums. Waiver will not change. OHP will continue to qualify for waiver. Currently working on issue of dependent coverage. Only 50 students who are on school health plan have dependents, and 37 of these are graduate students.
o   Student Newsletter Committee (David Edwards)
§  Latest Pulse issue last month
o   Student Center Planning Committee (Karen Seresun)
§  Focus groups last year clearly desired campus pub in Student Center. Request for Proposal has been written and is being sent out to local vendors who may be interested in hosting. Provost is behind event.
o   Intramurals/Student Center Events (Heather Ennis)
§  Closed Presidents Day. 2/19/2015 SOM Specialty Speed Dating Event 5:30-7:30PM (Gym closed from noon on). 2/25/2015 – Possible Blazers Viewing Event, to include food but possibly not alcohol. 3/6/2015 – SOD Black Tie Ball, gym closed at 12:30PM. 3/12/2015 – Volunteer Awards Ceremony, beings at 5:30PM, gym closes at 12:30PM. 3/14/2015 – Hoops for Hopes, gym closed all day. 3/30/2015, Pool closure begins for one week to replace filtration system. 4/4/2015 – New Artist in Student Center, SOD professor.
o   March Wellness (Erich Knipschild)
§  Not in attendance
o   Library (Laura Ziegen)
§  Trying to get bulletin board and suggestion box put in at LRC at CLSB. Has to go through administration because it is considered an alteration to the building. They are currently analyzing usage of LRC study rooms. People studying alone in group study rooms will be asked to vacate the room. Students raised concerns that even quiet areas are still loud from nearby non-quiet areas. Students would like a designated attendant to enforce library rules. Recommended to contact Stephanie Kerns, Associate University Librarian.
o   OHSU Communications (Bekki Witt)
§  Not in attendance.

Next Meeting:  March 13, 2015, 12:00-1:00/1:30pm at MRB 310*

January 2015 All Hill Council Minutes

http://ohsustudent.blogspot.com/

January Meeting Agenda:

OHSU Student Council (SC)
01/09/2015, 12:00-1:00/1:30pm
Location: MRB 310
Called to order:

Attendants:

·         Welcome/Food/Drinks (10 minutes)
·         Approval of Past Minutes (1 minute)
o   Approved
·         Director of Sakai (10 minutes)
o   Notification/approval of change in Sakai help desk hours. Currently 8a-10p M-F and 12p-5p weekends. This has been difficult to staff during the 5-6p hrs due to staff already working full time. Also having an issue with burnout
o   Proposing that staff leave earlier (4p) to make the evening home call. Also change closing time from 10p to 9p. Will split weekend shifts and also close on OHSU holidays
o   Council approves. New hrs: 8a-9p M-F and 12p-5p weekends, closed OHSU holidays
·         NWCCU Core Theme Indicators (10 minutes)
o   Update on accreditation process: team currently prepping for the 7 year visit, to happen in spring
o   self report draft nearly complete
o   end of Jan/Feb the team will be putting out the report campus wide for review and comment. This will most likely go through the portal
o   council to receive an update in the coming months about the reviewers, who will be talking with the council in the spring

·         Spring Gala (5 minutes)
o   All student prom, set for March 20th at the student center
o   Proposed hours: 7pm-1130pm
o   new policy that student fees cannot be used for alcohol. Must also have food present. Ideas such as selling tickets to buy an alcohol bracelet. Sub-committee to meet and brainstorm for alcohol/food catering (James Rolfing and Monica Luttrell)
·         Habitat for Humanity Build (5 minutes)-James Rohlfing
o   31st of January-15 spots available, already almost full
·         All-Hill Ski Trip (2 minutes)-Andrew Sloan
o   Final info is ready to send via email by 5pm today
o   Rental reservations due online next tuesday (Jan 20th) and online lift tickets due next wednesday (Jan 21st). Reminders via email
·         School Updates (5 minutes)
o   Nursing: have had lots of administrative turnover
o   Med: no updates
o   Grad: GSO meeting yesterday, talked about concerns over new student insurance. Also plan on starting brown bag lunches to discuss future career options etc
o   Pharm: no updates
o   Dental: suggestions for a coffee machine to be placed in CLSB student break room
·         Regular Updates (15 minutes)
o   Website Coordinator (Adam Fox)
§  no updates
o   JBT Health and Wellness Center (Sarah Lemley)
§  outbreak of influenza, more info from JBT health to be emailed to students
§  primary care at JBT health is very short staffed. Currently down to 1 MD provider. More staff is coming but process takes at least 60 days so students should be aware of potential scheduling difficulty
§  doing away with referral requirement, so now students will be able to see specialists for just $25 copay. Also able to see urgent care
§  Midyear waivers in, 150 out of 200 currently approved
§  currently discussing PSU collaboration for student health insurance. The plan would be less money and better coverage than currently. Right now trying to work out dependence coverage (~80 people currently utilize this). The new insurance would be for 2015-2016 year

o   Student Health Advisory Committee (Lilly Winfree)
§  Not present
o   Student Newsletter Committee (David Edwards)
§  Hard copies of Pulse given out during meeting for distribution
o   Student Center Planning Committee (Karen Seresun)
§  Student center will be closed MLK
o   Intramurals/Student Center Events (Heather Ennis)
§  UO championship game will be played on 1/12. Food and non-alcoholic beverages will be available
§  intramurals start 1/12
§  Art reception in student center Thursday Jan 22 from 530-730p
§  Blood drive in student center gym all day on Friday Jan 23
o   March Wellness (Erich Knipschild)
§  No updates
o   Library (Laura Ziegen)
§  A printer in LRC was vandalized over the holidays
§  Book drop now available in LRC
o   OHSU Communications (Bekki Witt)
§  Results of portal survey back. Somewhat as expected the use, access, logins are big problems.
§  Have a student portal users group that will hopefully have student reps. Will send out an email to student body asking for people to join

Next Meeting:  February 13, 2015, 12:00-1:00/1:30pm at MRB 310*

Thursday, February 12, 2015

December 2014 All Hill Council Minutes

http://ohsustudent.blogspot.com/

December Meeting Agenda:

OHSU Student Council (SC)
12/12/2014, 12:00-1:00/1:30pm
Location: MRB 310
Called to order:

Attendants: Andrew Sloan, Amelia Stoker, James Rohlfing, Tate Masunaga, Adam Fox, Kenneth Gilbert, Meghan Sampson, Heath Kula, Dyann Hamilton, Troy Potter, David Edwards, Lilly Winfree, Karen Seresun, Heather Ennis, Constance Henderson, Dana Director, Hannah Lobbingier, Joseph Sedillo, Kayly Lembke, Lauren Leyland, Megan Carroll, Rajkaran Sachdej, Tyler Light, Shawn Molden, Phil Henzlik.

·         Welcome/Food/Drinks (10 minutes)
·         Approval of Past Minutes (1 minute)
o   Approved
·         Funding Request- Health Care Equity Week (5 minutes)-Meghan Sampson
o   Approved
·         Public Safety (10 minutes)-Heath Kula, Deputy Chief of Public Safety
o   Public safety provides escort on owned or leased OHSU property and can have few exceptions. Exceptions are for unsafe situations. 
o   Blue phone is in process to be installed in between March Wellness and CLSB.
o   6 pm-6 am one officer at March Wellness and 3 officers on the hill.
o   Requesting authorization to operate under Portland safety code for area under the freeway.
o   Get names and specifics for any situation so public safety can address it.
o   When MAX opens there will be a proposal for more public safety staff. 
o   OHSU policy prohibits bringing personal firearms into buildings.
o   Heath Kula to be put on email list to participate in quarterly updates.
o   A map was an idea to let students know where the jurisdiction is for public safety and location of blue phones.
·         CLSB Operations (10 minutes)- Dyann Hamilton and Troy Potter
o   Located on site at CLSB.  Building management in North Tower of CLSB.  Hours for an engineer are 7-8 PM weeknights and 7-6 PM weekends.  Call center for work orders open from 6 am-7 pm.  Phone numbers are on the building management door and on the phones at CLSB.
o   Have quarterly tenant meetings that discuss communication.  Please feel free to attend meetings.  Updates from many departments.
o   After quarterly meeting send out a newsletter with updates.  Can be posted to the portal or going to explore posting in bathrooms.
o   Bulletin boards will be put up in student lounge and around CLSB.
o   If you are interested in attending quarterly meetings let Karen Seresun or K.C. Gilbert know.
o   Tate is interested in attending meetings.
o   Requesting money to put more outlets and appliances into student lounge.  Also requesting another monitor for Streetcar.  Also a request for lost and found manager.  All non-valuable lost and found is in the back of the PSU lecture hall.  Waiting for broadcasting company for TV’s in student lounge. 
o   To address study room shortage, addressing making sure classrooms are open during non-lecture times.  If there is one person in the study rooms and if you have a group you can ask them to leave.  Please leave rooms in good condition.  Janitorial staff only work on Sunday-Thursday evenings.  They do not work Fridays and Saturdays.  Will look into bigger trashcans in study rooms. 
o   7-10 PM Weekdays and 8-5 PM on Saturdays is when the active hours are and past that the systems are not automatic. Hired a consultant to evaluate how the systems are working by the end of the year for the building.  Lights are on at night because they need to be lit all the time but are at a decreased energy.  Need to be lit because they are the hallways which just happen to be on the outside of the building.  Working on automatic sensors for lights. 
o   www.southwaterfrontcampus.com has a handbook for CLSB.  After hours call public safety.    
·         Volunteerism Update (2 minutes)-James Rohlfing
o   12/20 from 9-11:30 PM at Oregon Food Bank. 
·         Portal Update (2 minutes)-James Rohlfing
o   Link to subscribe to get posts into email is in process of getting up and running.
·         All-Hill Ski Trip (2 minutes)-Andrew Sloan
o   $60 for lift tickets $47 for ski/snowboard and boot rentals, or $40 for just ski/snowboard rentals.  
·         School Updates (5 minutes)
·         Regular Updates (15 minutes)
o   Website Coordinator (Adam Fox)
o   JBT Health and Wellness Center (Sarah Lemley)
o   Student Health Advisory Committee (Lilly Winfree)
§  December 15th is the deadline for the waiver. 
o   Student Newsletter Committee (David Edwards)
o   Student Center Planning Committee (Karen Seresun)
§  December 15th-27th gym closed for resurfacing.  Reopening on the 29th.
o   Intramurals/Student Center Events (Heather Ennis)
§  Registration January 5th for intramurals and starts the next week.
o   March Wellness (Erich Knipschild)
§  January 31st and 1st open 7 am-3 pm
o   Library (Laura Ziegen)
§  Office hours for schools for library down at CLSB.  So set up an appointment with them.  Holiday hours for library open 24 hours. 
o   OHSU Communications (Bekki Witt)

Next Meeting:  January 9th, 2015, 12:00-1:00/1:30pm at MRB 310*